top of page

Background photo taken at Warren Street

Waddon Marsh
Colour Grid 1.png

Waddon Marsh tram stop is a stop on the Tramlink service serving the area between Waddon and Croydon in the London Borough of Croydon. It is close to the commercial areas of the Purley Way. The stop is overshadowed by the giant gasometer of Croydon Gas Works. There was previously a railway station about 100 metres north of this site called Waddon Marsh, though all that remains of the previous station is an access path still lined with streetlamps painted BR red.

Walthamstow Central
Colour Grid 2.png

Walthamstow Central is a London Underground and National Rail interchange station in the town of Walthamstow in the London Borough of Waltham Forest, north-east London. It is the northern terminus of the Victoria line following Blackhorse Road and is the second of five stations on the Chingford branch of the Lea Valley lines operated by London Overground since 2015, 6 miles 16 chains (10.0 km) from London Liverpool Street between St. James Street and Wood Street. The two lines have separate platforms at different levels.

The station is in Travelcard Zone 3. It linked to Walthamstow Queen's Road station on the Gospel Oak to Barking line by a broad footpath, Ray Dudley Way. Walthamstow Central is the closest tube station to Walthamstow Market, the longest outdoor market in Europe.

There is a museum called Walthamstow Pumphouse, where they have some old rolling stock converted into a restaurant, however the closest station is actually St. James Street.

Walthamstow Queen's Road
Colour Grid 3.png

Walthamstow Queen's Road railway station is a London Overground station between Blackhorse Road and Leyton Midland Road stations on the Gospel Oak to Barking Line, 8 miles 7 chains (13.0 km) down the line from Gospel Oak. It is in Zone 3. It opened as "Walthamstow" on 9 July 1894 and was renamed on 6 May 1968 under British Rail

Wandle Park
Colour Grid 1.png

Wandle Park tram stop is a stop adjacent to Wandle Park in the London Borough of Croydon in the southern suburbs of London. It serves the residential area between central Croydon and Waddon.

The tram stop is located on a double track section of line, with platforms on either side of the track. Immediately to the east of the stop, the line reduces to single track and rises on a steep gradient in order to pass over the railway line on a bridge.

Until December 2019, it was a request stop in both directions. It is now a compulsory stop for trams towards Croydon, but a request stop for trams towards Wimbledon.

Wandsworth Road
Colour Grid 2.png

Wandsworth Road railway station is a National Rail station between Battersea and Clapham in south London. It is served by London Overground services between Clapham Junction and Dalston Junction, with a limited service to Battersea Park, and a daily Southeastern service to Ashford International once a day. It is 1 mile 75 chains (3.1 km) from London Victoria.

The station opened on 1 March 1863, on the London, Chatham and Dover Railway original double-track low-level route from Victoria via Stewarts Lane, which was opened between Victoria and Herne Hill, on 25 August 1862

Wanstead
Colour Grid 3.png

Wanstead is a London Underground station in Wanstead in the London Borough of Redbridgeeast London. on the Hainault loop of the Central line. Towards Central London the next station is Leytonstone. Towards Woodford it is Redbridge. It is in Travelcard Zone 4.

Construction of the station had started in the 1930s, but was delayed by the onset of World War II. The incomplete tunnels between Wanstead and Gants Hill to the east were used for munitions production by Plessey between 1942 and 1945.The station was finally opened on 14 December 1947. The building, like the other two below ground stations on the branch, was designed by architect Charles Holden. It kept its original wooden escalator until 2003, one of the last Tube stations to do so.

More photos can be seen at: https://tubemapper.com/holland-park-station/

Wanstead Park
Colour Grid 1.png

Wanstead Park is a railway station in Forest GateLondon. It is on the Gospel Oak to Barking Line in Zone 3, 11 miles 11 chains (17.9 km) down the line from Gospel Oak and situated between Leytonstone High Road and Woodgrange Park. It is operated by London Overground.

Despite its name, Wanstead Park Station is not situated in Wanstead but in Forest Gate - and it is not near Wanstead Park but Wanstead Flats. The station was opened 9 July 1894.

Wapping
Colour Grid 2.png

Wapping is a station on the East London line located on the northern bank of the River Thames in Wapping within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets. The station is served by National Rail London Overground services under the control of the London Rail division of Transport for London, however there is no standard red National Rail "double arrow" logo signage located at the station, instead only the Overground roundel. The station is between Shadwell and Rotherhithe, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.

After temporary closures for remodelling, the station reopened for preview services on 27 April 2010 for services to New Cross and New Cross Gate, and from 23 May 2010 trains to and from New Cross Gate were extended to West Croydon and Crystal Palace.

The station occupies the north end of the former Thames foot tunnel built by Marc Isambard Brunel between 1825 and 1843, and subsequently adapted for railway traffic. 

Underground trains of the Metropolitan and the District Railways first served the station on 1 October 1884, but the station was last served by District trains on 31 July 1905.

In 1980 a London Underground plan to extend the Jubilee line to Woolwich Arsenal and Beckton was approved by parliament.

Warren Street
Colour Grid 3.png

Warren Street is a London Underground station, located at the intersection of Tottenham Court Road and Euston Road, named after nearby Warren Street. It is part of the Northern and Victoria lines.

The station was part of the original Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway, running from Charing Cross to Camden Town. Work started on the station in 1902, designed by Leslie W. Green. It was opened along with the rest of the line on 22 June 1907 by the President of the Board of TradeDavid Lloyd George, under the name "Euston Road".

Warwick Avenue
Colour Grid 1.png

Warwick Avenue is a London Underground station in Little Venice in the City of Westminster in northwest London. The station is on the Bakerloo line, between Paddington and Maida Vale stations, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.

Warwick Avenue opened on 31 January 1915 on the Bakerloo tube's extension from Paddington to Queen's Park.

The ticket hall and its ticket machines were destroyed by fire overnight on 17 September 1985, causing the station to be closed for the day.

There is no surface building and the station is accessed by two sets of steps to a sub-surface ticket hall. It was one of the first London Underground stations built specifically to use escalators rather than lifts. A plain, utilitarian brick ventilation shaft has been built on the traffic island in the middle of the road to improve ventilation of the tunnels.

More photos can be seen at: https://tubemapper.com/warwick-avenue-station/

Waterloo
Colour Grid 2.png

Waterloo is a London Underground station located beneath Waterloo National Rail station. As of 2020, it is the 5th busiest station on the London Underground, with 16.62 million users. It is served by four lines: the BakerlooJubileeNorthern and Waterloo & City lines.

The station is situated in fare zone 1 and is located near the South Bank of the River Thames, in the London Borough of Lambeth. It is within walking distance of the London Eye.

The first Underground Line at Waterloo was opened on 8 August 1898 by the Waterloo & City Railway (W&CR), a subsidiary of the owners of the main line station, the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR). The W&CR, nicknamed "The Drain", achieved in a limited way the L&SWR's original plan of taking its tracks the short distance north-east into the City of London.

On 10 March 1906, the Baker Street & Waterloo Railway (now the Bakerloo line) was opened. On 13 September 1926, the extension of the Hampstead & Highgate line (as the Charing Cross branch of the Northern line was then known) was opened from Embankment to the existing City and South London Railway station at Kennington with a new station at Waterloo

More photos can be seen at: https://tubemapper.com/waterloo-station/

Watford
Colour Grid 3.png

Watford tube station is the terminus of a Metropolitan line branch line in the north-western part of London Underground in Zone 7. The station opened in 1925. It is approximately 1 mile (1.6 km) from the town centre, which is more immediately served by Watford High Street and Watford Junction stations. The station building was designed by the Metropolitan Railway's architect Charles Walter Clark.

There was a project, known as the Croxley Rail Link, involved connecting the Metropolitan line to the disused Watford and Rickmansworth Railway line and reinstating the Croxley Green branch to Watford High Street 

On 25 January 2017, the Watford Observer newspaper published an update on the Croxley Rail Link confirming work had stopped as there was an ongoing funding issue. This station is a listed building.

Watford High Street
Colour Grid 1.png

Watford High Street is a railway station in WatfordHertfordshireUnited Kingdom. It is served by the Watford DC line on the London Overground network. It is the only station on the line's sole deviation from the West Coast Main Line.

The station was opened by the Watford and Rickmansworth Railway (W&RR) on 1 October 1862, with services running from Watford Junction to Rickmansworth (Church Street). In 1912 a branch was opened to Croxley Green. The line came under the ownership of London and North Western Railway (LNWR), which was absorbed into the London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) in 1923, following the grouping of Britain's railway companies.

Watford Junction
Colour Grid 2.png

Watford Junction is a railway station that serves WatfordHertfordshire. The station is on the West Coast Main Line (WCML), 17 miles 34 chains from London Euston and the Abbey Line, a branch line to St Albans. Journeys to London take between 16 and 52 minutes depending on the service used: shorter times on fast non-stop trains and slower on the stopping Watford DC line services. Trains also run to Clapham Junction and East Croydon via the West London Line.

Wellesley Road
Colour Grid 3.png

Wellesley Road tram stop is a halt on the Tramlink service in the London Borough of Croydon. It consists of a single platform on Wellesley Road at the diverge just before the Croydon Underpass and is served southbound only. All Tramlink routes call at the stop.

Wembley Central
Colour Grid 1.png

Wembley Central is an interchange station on the West Coast Main Line (WCML), London Overground and London Underground on the Watford DC line in Wembley, in north-west London, served by suburban services operated by London Underground and Arriva Rail London and regional services operated by London Northwestern Railway and Southern services. It is on the east-west High Road. The station serves Wembley Stadium and the nearby Wembley Arena.

  • 20 July 1837: London and Birmingham Railway line opened

  • 1842: Station opened as "Sudbury"

  • 1 May 1882: renamed "Sudbury & Wembley"

  • 1 November 1910: renamed "Wembley for Sudbury", coincident with construction of the "LNWR New Line"

  • 16 April 1917: Bakerloo line service commenced over New Line

  • 5 July 1948: renamed "Wembley Central"

Wembley Park
Colour Grid 2.png

Wembley Park is a London Underground station in Wembley Park, north west London. The station is served by the Underground's Metropolitan and Jubilee Lines and is in Travelcard Zone 4. It is located on Bridge Road (A4089) and is the nearest Underground station to the Wembley Stadium and Wembley Arena complex. This is where the Jubilee line from Stanmore diverges from the Metropolitan line which was formerly a branch of the Metropolitan Railway and was taken over by the Bakerloo line and today part of the Jubilee line.

The station opened for the first time on 14 October 1893 and initially operated to serve only Saturday football matches in the park. It opened fully on 12 May 1894.

West Acton
Colour Grid 3.png

West Acton is a London Underground station between Ealing Broadway and North Acton on the Ealing Broadway branch of the Central line, and is its only intermediate station. The station is a Grade II listed building. It is located in West Acton in Travelcard Zone 3. The station is close to North Ealing tube station on the Piccadilly line, 550 metres away at the western end of Queens Drive.

On 18 August 1911, the Central London Railway abandoned its policy of no through running with any other railway, and secured powers to build a short extension from Wood Lane to connect with the intended Ealing & Shepherds Bush line of the Great Western Railway, over which it proposed to exercise running powers.

The Great Western Railway (GWR) built the Ealing Broadway branch (the western part of the former Ealing & Shepherd's Bush Railway) and opened it for freight trains in April 1917, and the Central London Railway trains used the line from 3 August 1920. West Acton and North Acton were built and owned by the GWR, and both opened on 5 November 1923. This station is a listed building

West Brompton
Colour Grid 1.png

West Brompton is a London UndergroundLondon Overground and National Rail station on Old Brompton Road (A3218) in West Brompton, located in west London, and is on the District line and West London Line (WLL). It is immediately south of the demolished Earls Court Exhibition Centre and west of Brompton Cemetery in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

The station is on the Wimbledon branch of the District line between Earl's Court and Fulham Broadway stations. On the WLL, National Rail services are provided by Southern and London Overground, in between Kensington (Olympia) and Imperial Wharf stations.

The station's location on the WLL forms a borough boundary and its tracks are shared between Kensington & Chelsea and the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham. Since 2000 it has been a Grade II (starting category) Listed Building.

The West London Extension Joint Railway (WLEJR) was opened in the early 1860s. It joined the southern end of the West London Joint Railway at Kensington (Olympia) station with Clapham Junction station and ran through West Brompton although a station was not opened until 1866. The original station was designed by the chief engineer of the Metropolitan and District Railway, Sir John Fowler and thus has local railway associations that go back to 1838. The current Lillie (road) bridge dates from 1860 and is the work of Fowler. 

The soon to disappear Lillie Bridge Railway and Engineering Depot, opened in 1872, is close by. This station is a listed building.

West Croydon
Colour Grid 2.png

West Croydon is a combined railwaybus station and tram stop in Croydon, south London. It is served by National RailLondon OvergroundTramlink and London Buses services and is in Travelcard Zone 5.

The East London line, part of London Overground, was extended to the station in 2010. On the National Rail network it is 10 miles 35 chains (10.44 miles, 16.80 km) measured from London Bridge. From 1809 to 1836 the site was the terminal basin of the Croydon Canal. The canal was drained and became part of the route of the London & Croydon Railway, opening on 5 June 1839.

West Croydon Tram
Colour Grid 3.png

A short distance from the main entrance to the train station of the same name (see above) is Station Road, where West Croydon bus station and tram stop are located. The tram stop is next to, but was for a long time physically separate from, the rail platforms, until the construction of the new entrance. All Tramlink routes use West Croydon, which is a single platform stop on the unidirectional loop around central Croydon.

West Drayton
Colour Grid 1.png

Great Western Railway and TfL Rail. It is 13 miles 71 chains (22.3 km) down the line from London Paddington and is situated between Hayes & Harlington to the east and Iver to the west.

In preparation for the introduction of Elizabeth line services, the operation of the station was transferred to MTR Crossrail on behalf of Transport for London at the end of 2017.

West Drayton station is on the original line of the Great Western Railway, and was opened on 4 June 1838 at the same time as the line. However the original station was located slightly to the west of the current station, and was relocated to its current position from 9 August 1884 when the branch to Staines was opened. From 1 March 1883, the station was served by District Railway services running between Mansion House and Windsor. The service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885.

West Ealing
Colour Grid 2.png

West Ealing railway station is on the Great Western Main Line in Ealing, situated in west London. It is 6 miles 46 chains (10.6 km) down the line from London Paddington and is situated between Ealing Broadway to the east and Hanwell to the west. Its three-letter station code is WEA.

The station was opened on 1 March 1871 as Castle Hill on the Great Western Railway, which was constructed from London Paddington through Ealing to Maidenhead in 1836–1838. The station was renamed Castle Hill Ealing Dean in 1875. From 1 March 1883, the station was served by District Railway services running between Mansion House and Windsor. This service was discontinued as uneconomic after 30 September 1885. On 1 July 1899, the station was renamed West Ealing.

West Finchley
Colour Grid 3.png

West Finchley is a London Underground station in the Finchley area of the London Borough of Barnet. The station is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern line between Finchley Central and Woodside Park stations and is in Travelcard Zone 4.

The station was opened by the London & North Eastern Railway (LNER) on 1 March 1933 on its line to High Barnet. It opened to serve new housing developing in the area and was built with only modest station structures from the outset. Many fittings were taken from stations in the north of England

West Ham
Colour Grid 1.png

West Ham is a London UndergroundDocklands Light Railway (DLR) and National Rail intermodal interchange station in West HamLondonUnited Kingdom. The station is served by London Underground DistrictHammersmith & City and Jubilee lines, the Stratford International branch of the DLR and c2c National Rail services.

The station was opened in 1901 by the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway on the route from Fenchurch Street to Barking. In the late 1990s, the station was rebuilt and significantly expanded as part of the Jubilee Line Extension, fully opening in 1999. The station is in London fare zone 2 and zone 3.

West Hampstead
Colour Grid 2.png

West Hampstead is a London Underground Jubilee line station in West Hampstead. It is located on West End Lane between Broadhurst Gardens and Blackburn Road and is situated in Travelcard Zone 2. It lies between Kilburn and Finchley Road tube stations. It is 100 m (110 yd) from West Hampstead station on the London Overground North London Line and 200 m (220 yd) from West Hampstead Thameslink station. Metropolitan line trains also pass through the station, but do not usually stop.

The station was opened on 30 June 1879 by the Metropolitan Railway (now the Metropolitan line) when it extended its tracks from Swiss Cottage. The station acted as the temporary terminus of the branch until it was further extended to Willesden Green on 24 November that year. On 20 November 1939, most stopping services were transferred to the Bakerloo line when it took over operations on the Stanmore branch;

W Hampstead Overground
Colour Grid 3.png

West Hampstead railway station is a London Overground station on the North London Line between Brondesbury and Finchley Road & Frognal in the London Borough of Camden and is in Travelcard Zone 2.

The station and all trains are operated by London Overground.

The station opened on 1 March 1888 and was called West End Lane until 1975, when it became West Hampstead (making it one of three stations of essentially the same name along West End Lane). The train service was provided by the North London Railway until 1909, when management of the NLR was taken over by the London and North Western Railway. Complete amalgamation with the LNWR followed in 1922, and the LNWR then amalgamated with other railways to form the LMS from January 1923

W Hampstead Thames
Colour Grid 1.png

West Hampstead Thameslink is a National Rail station on the Midland Main Line and is served by Thameslink trains as part of the Thameslink route between Kentish Town and Cricklewood. The station is in Travelcard Zone 2.

The station was built by the Midland Railway on its extension to St. Pancras, to serve the newly developed area around the hamlet of West End. It opened on 1 March 1871, and was originally named West End for Kilburn and Hampstead.

For a short period from 1878 the station formed part of the Super Outer Circle, Midland trains running through from St Pancras to Earl's Court via Acton Central and Turnham Green.

It was renamed several times: to West End on 1 July 1903; to West End and Brondesbury on 1 April 1904; to West Hampstead on 1 September 1905; West Hampstead Midland on 25 September 1950; and finally West Hampstead Thameslink on 16 May 1988. It was popular for many years for people taking a day out on Hampstead Heath and those visiting the chalybeate springs in Hampstead itself.

West Harrow
Colour Grid 2.png

West Harrow is a London Underground station in Harrow in north west London.

The station is on the Uxbridge branch of the Metropolitan line, between Rayners Lane and Harrow-on-the-Hill stations, and in Travelcard Zone 5. It is the only station on the Uxbridge branch to be served exclusively by the Metropolitan.

The Metropolitan (Harrow and Uxbridge Railway) line passed through here between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Ruislip, with services beginning on 4 July 1904. West Harrow station opened on 17 November 1913.

West India Quay
Colour Grid 3.png

West India Quay is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Canary Wharf’s West India Quay. It is located at the point where the line from Lewisham splits into branches to Tower Gateway/Bank and Stratford. The next stations on each line are Canary Wharf DLR station (to Lewisham), Westferry (to Tower Gateway/Bank) and Poplar DLR station (to Stratford). The station is in Travelcard Zone 2.

The station opened in 1987 but was closed from 1991 to 1993 as the surrounding area was rebuilt. The station is near to the Museum in Docklands and the adjoining hotel and leisure facilities on the north quay of West India Docks, and indeed the platforms of the station extend over part of the dock.

West Kensington
Colour Grid 1.png

West Kensington is a London Underground District line station in West Kensington. It is located on North End Road (B317) close to its junction with West Cromwell Road/Talgarth Road (A4).

The station is between Earl's Court and Barons Court and is in Travelcard Zone 2.

The station is situated in a cutting with the ticket office at street level. The station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on 9 September 1874 as 'North End (Fulham)'  It was renamed West Kensington in 1877.

On 5 May 1878, The Midland Railway began running a circuitous service known as the "Super Outer Circle" from St Pancras to Earl's Court via Cricklewood and South Acton. It operated over a now disused connection between the NLR and the London and South Western Railway's branch to Richmond (now part of the District line). The service was not a success and was ended on 30 September 1880.

The entrance building was rebuilt in 1927. The design, by Charles Holden, uses similar materials and finishes to those Holden used for the Northern line's Morden extension opened in 1926.

West Ruislip
Colour Grid 2.png

West Ruislip is a station on Ickenham High Road on the borders of Ickenham and western Ruislip in the London Borough of Hillingdon in Greater London, formerly in Middlesex. It is served by London Underground (LU) and National Rail trains on independent platforms. It is the western terminus of the Central line's West Ruislip branch; Ruislip Gardens is the next Underground station towards central London. The Central line and Chiltern Railways platforms and ticket office hall are managed by LU. The closest station on the Metropolitan and Piccadilly lines is Ickenham, 1.1 miles (1.8 km) from West Ruislip Station.

The station was opened on 2 April 1906 as Ruislip & Ickenham by the Great Western and Great Central Joint Railway (GW&GCJR).

West Silvertown
Colour Grid 3.png

West Silvertown is a Docklands Light Railway (DLR) station in Silvertown which opened in December 2005. It is located on the Woolwich Arsenal branch. Trains run Westbound to Bank in the City of London and Eastbound to Woolwich Arsenal, passing through London City Airport station.

The station is in the London Borough of Newham and is located in Travelcard Zone 3.

Prior to December 2005, Docklands Light Railway trains would arrive at Canning Town and would only be able to continue in a South-Easterly direction towards Royal Victoria. In December 2005, however, the new King George V branch was opened.

West Sutton
Colour Grid 1.png

West Sutton railway station is in the London Borough of Sutton in South London, England. The station is served by Thameslink trains on the Sutton Loop Line. It is in Travelcard Zone 5.

Parliamentary approval for a line from Wimbledon to Sutton had been obtained by the Wimbledon and Sutton Railway (W&SR) in 1910 but work had been delayed by World War I. From the W&SR's inception, the District Railway (DR) was a shareholder of the company and had rights to run trains over the line when built.

Westbourne Park
Colour Grid 2.png

Westbourne Park is a London Underground station in the Notting Hill area of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It is on the Circle and Hammersmith and City lines, between Ladbroke Grove and Royal Oak stations, and is in Travelcard Zone 2.

Although the Metropolitan Railway (MR) had been extended to Notting Hill and Hammersmith on 1 June 1864, the first station by this name did not open until 1 February 1866. In 1867, with the companies on better terms, the MR bought a share of the Hammersmith & City Railway (H&CR) from the Great Western Railway (GWR), after which it eliminated the broad gauge track and operated almost all the trains (the H&CR's identity being effectively lost).

The original station closed on 31 October 1871, and was replaced the following day by a new station, constructed to the west of the original.

Westcombe Park
Colour Grid 3.png

Westcombe Park station is in Greenwich, London, and is situated on the Greenwich Line connecting suburbs (e.g.: Deptford, Greenwich, CharltonWoolwich, to DartfordKent) along the south side of the River Thames with central London stations (London BridgeCannon Street and Charing Cross).

It is 5 miles 7 chains (8.2 km) down the line from London Bridge. The station was opened by the South Eastern Railway in 1879, the year after the through line from Greenwich to Maze Hill was finally completed.

Westferry
Colour Grid 1.png

Westferry is a station on the Docklands Light Railway (DLR), at the junction of Limehouse Causeway and Westferry Road in Limehouse in London DocklandsEngland. The station is located in Travelcard Zone 2. To the west is Limehouse station, whilst to the east the DLR splits, with one branch going to Poplar station and the other to West India Quay station. The DLR station was built midway between the site of the old Limehouse and West India Docks stations on the disused London and Blackwall Railway

Westminster
Colour Grid 2.png

Westminster is a London Underground station in the City of Westminster. It is served by the CircleDistrict and Jubilee lines. On the Circle and District lines, the station is between St James's Park and Embankment, and on the Jubilee line it is between Green Park and Waterloo. It is in Travelcard Zone 1. The station is located at the corner of Bridge Street and Victoria Embankment and is close to the Houses of ParliamentWestminster AbbeyParliament SquareWhitehallWestminster Bridge, and the London Eye.

The station is in two parts: sub-surface platforms opened in 1868 by the District Railway (DR) as part of the company's first section of the Inner Circle route and deep level platforms opened in 1999 as part of the Jubilee line extension from Green Park to Stratford. A variety of underground and main line services have operated over the sub-surface tracks, but the original station was completely rebuilt in conjunction with the construction of the deep level platforms and Portcullis House, which sits above the station.

White City
Colour Grid 1.png

White City is a London Underground station on Wood Lane in White City, west London, England, on the Central line between Shepherds Bush and East Acton stations in Travelcard Zone 2. The station is in a deep brick-sided cutting - and is designed in a similar way to Harrow-on-the-Hill station.

The station was opened on 23 November 1947, replacing the earlier Wood Lane station. Its construction started after 1938 and had been scheduled for completion by 1940, but the Second World War delayed its opening for another seven years. The architectural design of the station won an award at the Festival of Britain and a commemorative plaque recording this is attached to the building to the left of the main entrance.

White Hart Lane
Colour Grid 2.png

White Hart Lane is a London Overground station on the Lea Valley lines located in Tottenham of the London Borough of Haringey in North London. It is 7 miles 11 chains (11.5 km) from London Liverpool Street and is situated between Bruce Grove and Silver Street. It is in Travelcard zone 3.

White Hart Lane was originally a stop on the Stoke Newington & Edmonton Railway line (part of Great Eastern Railway) which opened on 22 July 1872. The original station building is a two-storey brick structure. As part of the Northumberland Development Project to redevelop the White Hart Lane stadium and regenerate the area the station was also selected to be upgraded. This involved the building of a new ticket hall to the south of the original station building

Whitechapel
Colour Grid 3.png

Whitechapel (Bengali: হোয়াইটচ্যাপেল) is a London Underground and London Overground station located on Whitechapel Road and Durward Street in the Whitechapel area of LondonUnited Kingdom. The station is located behind a street market of the same name and opposite the Royal London Hospital. It lies between Aldgate East and Stepney Green stations on the District and Hammersmith & City lines, and between Shoreditch High Street and Shadwell stations on the East London Line. It is in Travelcard Zone 2.

The station was comprehensively rebuilt in the late 2010s and early 2020s as part of the Crossrail project. The station will be served by Elizabeth line services when it opens in spring 2022.

Whitechapel station was originally opened in 1876 when the East London Railway  On 6 October 1884, the District Railway (DR, now the District line) opened a new station adjacent to the deeper ELR station as the terminus of an extension from Mansion House (part of the extension also formed the final section of the Circle line. The new station was given the name "Whitechapel (Mile End)".

Willesden Green
Colour Grid 1.png

Willesden Green is a London Underground station on Walm Lane in Willesden. It is served by the Jubilee line and is between Dollis Hill and KilburnMetropolitan line trains also pass through the station, but do not usually stop. The station is in both Travelcard Zone 2 and Zone 3.

The station opened on 24 November 1879 on the Metropolitan Railway (later the Metropolitan line). From 1894 to 1938 it was known as Willesden Green and Cricklewood. From 20 November 1939 it also served the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line, with Met services being withdrawn the following year. It transferred to the Jubilee line in 1979. A connecting tunnel at Embankment tube station mistakenly shows Willesden Green as part of the Bakerloo line as a result of a typo which instead should say Willesden Junction. This can be found on a printed map on the wall of Embankment station. This station is a listed building

Willesden Junction
Colour Grid 2.png

Willesden Junction is a National Rail station in Harlesden, north-west London, UK. It is served by both London Overground and London Underground services.

The station developed on three contiguous sites: the West Coast Main Line (WCML) station was opened by the London & North Western Railway on 1 September 1866 to replace the London and Birmingham Railway's Willesden station of 1841 which was 0.5 miles (0.80 km) to the northwest. Passenger services ended in 1962 when the platforms were removed during the electrification of the WCML to allow the curvature of the tracks to be eased. Later the bridges for the North London Line (NLL) were rebuilt.

More photos can be seen at: https://tubemapper.com/willesden-junction-station/

Wimbledon
Colour Grid 3.png

Wimbledon is a National RailLondon Underground, and Tramlink station located on Wimbledon Bridge, and is the only station in London that provides an interchange between the London Underground and Tramlink. The station serves as a junction for services from the Underground's District line and National Rail operators (South Western Railway and Thameslink), as well as Tramlink services. Some weekday peak services on the Thameslink route are provided by Southern. The station is in Travelcard Zone 3. It is 7 miles 19 chains (11.6 km) from London Waterloo on the South West Main Line.

The station has 11 platforms. Platforms 1–4 are for London Underground, platforms 5 & 8 are for inner suburban South Western Railway services, platform 9 is for Thameslink and platforms 10a/b are for Tramlink. Platforms 6 & 7 are adjacent to the fast tracks intended for express and outer suburban South Western Railway services, 

The first railway station in Wimbledon was opened on 21 May 1838, when the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) opened its line from its terminus at Nine Elms in Battersea to Woking. The original station was to the south of the current station on the opposite side of the Wimbledon Bridge. On 22 October 1855, the Wimbledon and Croydon Railway (W&CR) opened the West Croydon to Wimbledon Line to West Croydon via Mitcham 

Wimbledon Chase
Colour Grid 1.png

Wimbledon Chase railway station is in the London Borough of Merton in South London. The station is served by Thameslink trains on the Sutton Loop Line. It is in Travelcard Zone 3 and is arranged as an island eight-car platform, with stairs descending to street level towards the southern end.

Wimbledon Park
Colour Grid 2.png

Wimbledon Park is a London Underground station in Wimbledon. The station is on the District line and is between Southfields and Wimbledon stations. The station is located on Arthur Road close to the junction with Melrose Avenue close to the eastern side of Wimbledon Park and is in Travelcard Zone 3. The station was opened by the District Railway (DR, now the District line) on 3 June 1889 on an extension from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon. The extension was built by the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR) which, starting on 1 July 1889, ran its own trains over the line from a connection at East Putney to its Clapham Junction to Barnes line.

The section of the District line from Putney Bridge to Wimbledon was the last part of the line to be converted from steam operation to electric. Electric trains began running on 27 August 1905. Main line services through Wimbledon Park ended on 4 May 1941

Wood Green
Colour Grid 3.png

Wood Green is a London Underground station on the Piccadilly line. The station is between Turnpike Lane and Bounds Green stations and is in Travelcard Zone 3. It is located at junction of High Road, Wood Green and Lordship Lane. It serves Wood Green Shopping City and the nearby Haringey Council administrative complex as well as a densely populated residential area. It is also the closest tube station to Alexandra Palace. The station opened on 19 September 1932 when the first section of the Cockfosters extension from Finsbury Park was opened. This station is a listed building.

Wood Lane
Colour Grid 1.png

For the closed station that was on the Metropolitan line, see Wood Lane tube station (Metropolitan line). For the closed station that was on the Central line, see Wood Lane tube station (Central line). See also: Stations around Shepherd's Bush

Wood Lane is a London Underground station in the White City area of west London, United Kingdom. It is on the Circle and Hammersmith & City lines, between Latimer Road and Shepherd's Bush Market stations, in Travelcard Zone 2.

Although it is on a line which has been in operation since 1864, the station is new, having opened on 12 October 2008 – the first station to be built on an existing Tube line for over 70 years. It is near the site of a station of the same name that closed on 24 October 1959.

In 2005, work commenced on the large-scale Westfield Shopping Centre. As part of the work, £200m of transport improvements were made including rebuilding Shepherd's Bush Central line station, a new Shepherd's Bush railway station and two bus interchanges. It was decided to build a new station on the Hammersmith & City line, just north-east of the old Metropolitan station on Wood Lane. In 2006 Transport for London decided, after deliberating over various possibilities, on the name Wood Lane, reviving an historical name. This was the first time that a new station on the Tube had been given the name of a former station that had been closed for several years.

The station opened on 12 October 2008. On 13 December 2009 Wood Lane was added to the Circle line when the line was extended to Hammersmith.

Wood Street
Colour Grid 2.png

Wood Street is a railway station on the Chingford branch of the Lea Valley lines, located in Upper Walthamstow in the London Borough of Waltham Forest, east London. It is 7 miles 7 chains (11.4 km) down the line from London Liverpool Street and is situated between Walthamstow Central and Highams Park. It has been operated by London Overground since 2015.

It is also occasionally known as "Walthamstow Wood Street". The station is in Travelcard Zone 4

The station was opened in 1873 by the Great Eastern Railway.

Woodford
Colour Grid 3.png

Woodford is a London Underground station in the town of Woodford in the London Borough of RedbridgeEast London. The station is on the Central line, between South Woodford and Buckhurst Hill stations and is in Travelcard Zone 4. The station also acts as a terminus for services via the Hainault loop. The station was originally opened on 22 August 1856 as part of the Eastern Counties Railway branch from Leyton to Loughton.

More photos can be seen at: https://tubemapper.com/woodford-station/

Woodgrange Park
Colour Grid 1.png

Woodgrange Park railway station is a London Overground station on Romford Road in Manor Park in the London Borough of Newham, east London. It is the penultimate station on the Gospel Oak to Barking line, 12 miles 1 chain (19.3 km) down the line from Gospel Oak; it lies in Travelcard Zones 3 and 4. The station is managed by London Overground, which also provides all train services. It has only limited station buildings and facilities, and as of October 2019 was the 9th least-used railway station in Greater London.

Track was laid through the site in 1854 as part of the first section of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, from Forest Gate Junction on the Eastern Counties Railway to Barking.

Woodside
Colour Grid 2.png

Woodside tram stop is a light rail stop situated between Woodside Green and Ashburton Park in the London Borough of Croydon in the southern suburbs of London. The stop is located on the site of the former Woodside railway station of the Woodside and South Croydon Railway; the old station buildings survive, though not used by Tramlink.

The tram stop has a platform on each side of the track with access to both platforms by stairs on the west side of the station building and by ramps on the east side.

Woodside Park
Colour Grid 3.png

Woodside Park is a London Underground station in Woodside Park, north London.

The station is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern line, between West Finchley and Totteridge and Whetstone stations, and in Travelcard Zone 4. Woodside Park is the last station in an alphabetical list of London Underground stations. Woodside Park station was planned by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was originally opened as Torrington Park on 1 April 1872 by the Great Northern Railway (which had taken over the EH&LR). The station was on a branch of a line that ran from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate. The station was renamed within a month of opening, and again in 1882.

Woolwich
Colour Grid 1.png

Woolwich is a Crossrail station under construction in Woolwich in London, England which is planned to open in 2022, and to have up to 12 trains per hour to Canary Wharf and Central London.

Woolwich railway station is being built by Crossrail as part of the Crossrail (Elizabeth line) rail project. Crossrail is jointly sponsored by the Department for Transport (DfT) and Transport for London (TfL). The construction of a station at Woolwich was not proposed as part of the original Crossrail route. However, after talks between Greenwich London Borough Council and developer Berkeley Homes about the £162 million required for the station, the House of Commons Select Committee recognised its inclusion in March 2007.

Woolwich Arsenal
Colour Grid 2.png

Woolwich Arsenal station is a National Rail and Docklands Light Railway (DLR) paired interchange station in the heart of Woolwich in the Royal Borough of Greenwich. It has two parts; its raised, south-western part of the station is on the semi-slow, commuter service, corollary of the North Kent Line and also in its Dartford Loop services section between London and Dartford, run by Southeastern. Regular services beyond Dartford are to the Medway Towns, which start/finish in the opposite direction at Luton via the City of LondonWest Hampstead and St Albans. Its other part is the terminus of its own branch of the DLR, run by Transport for London.

The station opened in 1849, serving the North Kent Line from London to Gillingham. The station building was rebuilt in 1906 in a London brick form typical of southeast London. It was again rebuilt in 1992–93 to a modern design in steel and glass by the Architecture and Design Group of British Rail, under the leadership of Nick Derbyshire

Website is Copyright Paul R. Barton 2022
bottom of page